About Us


Aims of the Friends of Victoria Gardens

  • To assist in the development of Victoria Gardens as a valuable community resource.

  • To encourage the support and appreciation of Victoria Gardens by the community.

  • To conserve and protect the landscape qualities and character of Victoria Gardens and its environs.

  • To assist Council to manage and develop Victoria Gardens in a way that takes into consideration both the historic significance of the Gardens and the current and future needs of he community.

  • To promote the Gardens and educate the public about the scientific, historical, social and aesthetic significance of Victoria Gardens.


This c1905 view is taken from near the existing depot and shows the curved path and a stone drinking fountain at the path junction.  The plant to the left and centre background is a New Zealand Cabbage Tree (Cordyline australis), a popular plant in the 1800’s.

This c1905 view is taken from near the existing depot and shows the curved path and a stone drinking fountain at the path junction. The plant to the left and centre background is a New Zealand Cabbage Tree (Cordyline australis), a popular plant in the 1800’s.


Since 1987 the Friends have assisted Council with the care of Victoria Gardens.  A Conservation Plan and Master Plan for Victoria Gardens (1989), commissioned by Council has been completed, the four damaged vases were recast in bronze and a new fountain was erected on the site of the original and opened on 16 July 1989.  On the 8 July 1990 a bronze copy of the Statue of Victory was unveiled.  The original is located in the courtyard of the Prahran Town Hall.

Between 1989-90 the nursery and brick toilet beneath the English Oak were removed and the north west shrubbery planted.  A circular parterre was designed in 1990 and planted the following year.  The design is based on the rose garden shown on Sangster’s 1885 plan.

In 1993, the Friends funded the construction of a circular seat around the magnificent weeping elm.  With support from the Friends and funding from the Stonnington City Council “Community Grants Program 1998-99”, four seats were placed in the northern section of the Gardens in 1999.  In July 2001, Council placed new seats around the oval and an asphalt path was relayed to replace the damaged path and a gravel path east of the oval.  On the 18 July 2006 the restored High Street gates were re opened.  The Friends contributed $5,000 towards this project.

It is hoped that through the efforts of the Friends of Victoria Gardens and Stonnington Council, Victoria Gardens can be restored to their former glory and is continued to be valued by the community. If you care about Victoria Gardens, please consider becoming a FRIEND.